This is really good for a weeknight dinner. I made half the recipe for 2 of us but used fresh garlic and added more veggies than called for. Also used a green pepper instead of red because I had it on hand. I made a full recipe of the sauce and it was a little too thick so less cornstarch next time. I garnished with toasted sliced almonds which worked perfectly.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
This Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is faster and healthier than take-out. To speed preparation time, cut the chicken into pieces while you wait for the pan to heat. Serve over long-grain white rice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 388
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 41.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 858mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted chopped cashews
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper, and chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken mixture from pan; set aside.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Add 1 cup pineapple chunks to pan; cook 30 seconds. Reserve remaining pineapple for another use. Combine the reserved 1/2 cup juice, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Return chicken mixture to pan. Stir in juice mixture; bring to boil. Cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with cashews.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note