Sweet-Sour Baked Chicken Legs
Mickey Strang cooks with what she has on hand. One day she paired an orange and some chicken with Asian seasonings. The resulting citrusy sweet-sour sauce enhances the chicken and goes well with rice.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 228
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 563mg
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- 1 orange (1/2 lb.)
- 4 whole chicken legs with thighs (about 2 1/3 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup mirin (rice wine) or 1/4 cup cream sherry plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1. Slice orange crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds; discard seeds. Line a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole with orange slices.
- 2. Pull skin and fat off chicken and discard. Rinse chicken; lay in casserole.
- 3. Mix mirin, vinegar, cornstarch, oyster sauce, tamari, and ginger. Pour evenly over chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, in a 375° oven, basting occasionally with pan juices, until chicken is no longer pink at bone (cut to test), 50 to 60 minutes.
- 5. Sprinkle with green onion.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note