- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound shrimp (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 green onions, green parts only, sliced
- Brown-Sugar Bacon Bites
- calories 128
- caloriesfromfat 43 %
- protein 8.2 g
- fat 6.2 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- carbohydrate 9.9 g
- fiber 0.9 g
- sodium 108 mg
- cholesterol 66 mg
How to Make It
Cook grits according to package instructions. Stir in cheeses and butter, plus salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until it begins to soften but not brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers and a pinch each salt and pepper, then cook until tender-crisp, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar and wine. Increase heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add shrimp; cook until just curled and pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Stir enough hot water into grits to make them soft and spoonable. Spoon 2 tbsp. warm grits onto each of 10 to 12 small plates. Top each with 2 shrimp, 1 tbsp. pepper-wine sauce, a sprinkle of parsley, a few green onion slices, and, if desired, Brown-Sugar Bacon Bites, crumbled.
Note: Nutritional analysis does not include Brown-Sugar Bacon Bites.