Sweet Red Onion Relish
We suggest using tongs to stir and turn the onion (step 2). The relish's flavor continues to improve up to 1 week, chilled in an airtight container. Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 7 minutes; Chill: 2 hours.
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 large red onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves.
- 2. Add onion, and stir to mix. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until onion turns translucent and pink. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Chill in an airtight container 2 hours or until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator up to 7 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note