Could make with splenda and even LOWER the calories! Looks great in any trifle dish, and takes about an hour to make with all the toasting. Friends and family loved it on Thanksgiving; kinda cheesecake tasting as well.
Sweet Potato Trifle
The two main ingredients in this dessert, purchased angel food cake and canned sweet potatoes, mean there's no baking required. Prepare and garnish up to a day in advance.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 303
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Carbohydrate: 53.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 434mg
- Calcium: 125mg
- 1 (16-ounce) angel food cake, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cooked peeled sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 3 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut, toasted and divided
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange cake cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until toasted, turning once.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar, sour cream, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined. Gradually add milk, beating until smooth. Add toasted cake cubes; fold gently to combine.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla, salt, and sweet potatoes in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon half of cake mixture into a trifle dish or 3-quart glass bowl; top with half of sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon coconut over sweet potato mixture; top with half of whipped topping. Repeat layers; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon coconut and pecans. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts