One of the best crusts I've ever eaten - sort of like a soft maple-flavored graham cracker cookie. The pie filling was equally yummy, although I would add more spice next time. I don't think reducing the maple syrup for the glaze was worth the extra effort - I'd just drizzle on regular maple syrup or whipped cream next time.
Sweet Potato Tart with Pecan Crust
Be sure to look for the pure maple syrup to use in this recipe. It adds just a hint of sweetness that doesn't overpower the other flavors of the tart. You can make this dessert up to 2 days ahead; keep it refrigerated until you're ready to serve your guests.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 46.6g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 81mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup soft silken tofu, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, pecans, and salt in a food processor; process until pecans are finely ground. Add butter; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With processor on, slowly add 2 tablespoons syrup through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Place dough on a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 or 5 times (dough will be sticky).
- Place dough in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over dough; press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Discard plastic wrap. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup syrup and cornstarch. Place syrup mixture, sweet potato, and next 6 ingredients (sweet potato through nutmeg) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Spoon mixture into prepared crust, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place 1/2 cup syrup in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup; remove from heat. Cool and drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons over each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato Tart with Pecan Crust Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Tofu/Soy, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake, Food Processor
- OCCASION: Autumn, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Rosh Hashanah, Thanksgiving, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light