One of the best crusts I've ever eaten - sort of like a soft maple-flavored graham cracker cookie. The pie filling was equally yummy, although I would add more spice next time. I don't think reducing the maple syrup for the glaze was worth the extra effort - I'd just drizzle on regular maple syrup or whipped cream next time.
Sweet Potato Tart with Pecan Crust
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Katie Stoddard
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 46.6g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 81mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup soft silken tofu, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, pecans, and salt in a food processor; process until pecans are finely ground. Add butter; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With processor on, slowly add 2 tablespoons syrup through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Place dough on a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 or 5 times (dough will be sticky).
- Place dough in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over dough; press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Discard plastic wrap. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup syrup and cornstarch. Place syrup mixture, sweet potato, and next 6 ingredients (sweet potato through nutmeg) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Spoon mixture into prepared crust, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place 1/2 cup syrup in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup; remove from heat. Cool and drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons over each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato Tart with Pecan Crust Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Tofu/Soy, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake, Food Processor
- OCCASION: Autumn, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Rosh Hashanah, Thanksgiving, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts