Sweet Potato Spoonbread
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bring first 5 ingredients to a simmer in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Whisk cornmeal into milk mixture in a slow, steady stream. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens and pulls away from bottom of pan. Remove from heat, and stir in butter. Cool 10 minutes.
- 2. Place potatoes in a large bowl; stir in cornmeal mixture. Stir in egg yolks and baking powder, stirring until well blended.
- 3. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into potato mixture. Spoon batter into a well-buttered 3-qt. baking dish.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. (Edges will be firm and center will still be slightly soft.) Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables