I definitely like the concept of this but think that the sweet potato needs some jazzing up. Maybe cumin, chili powder or ? I used W/W tortillas and used Jalapeno Jack cheese instead of Mozzerella (but that didn't even help!) and I didn't make the onion mixture - used salsa instead. I WILL make this again but will add some spices to the sweet potato; it's a relatively fast and healthy meatless meal.
Sweet Potato and Spinach Quesadillas
Serve up a meatless meal of Sweet Potato and Spinach Quesadillas tonight. You'll get an immune boost from the beta carotene in the sweet potatoes, and 20 percent of your daily iron needs are met with this veggie quesadilla. Plus this quesadilla contains more calcium than a glass of milk!
More From Health
Total: 49 Minutes
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 750mg
- Calcium: 352mg
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 pound total)
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 5 cups baby spinach (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1. Microwave potatoes on high until tender (about 15 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns; bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Place onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl; pour hot vinegar mixture over onion and let stand 10 minutes. Drain onion slices and transfer to a plate to cool.
- 3. Split cooked potatoes open with a knife; remove flesh and transfer to a bowl (you should have about 1 cup). Use a fork to mash potato with salt and pepper; divide potato filling among 4 tortillas. Top each with 1 heaping cup spinach, 1/4 cup cheese, and another tortilla.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, heat 1 teaspoon oil and transfer 1 quesadilla to skillet; cook until quesadilla is crisp and cheese is melted (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer cooked quesadilla to serving plate. Repeat with remaining oil and quesadillas. Cut quesadillas in quarters and serve each with 1/4 cup pickled onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes