This is the best sweet potato soup ever! I have a friend with cancer and she asks me to make it all the time...the rum cream makes the dish...I add a pinch of sugar to the rum cream...
Sweet Potato Soup with Rum Cream
Yield: 8 cups
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground red pepper
- Rum Cream
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute until tender. Stir in chicken broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until potato is tender. Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly.
- Process mixture in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return to Dutch oven, and stir in whipping cream and next 4 ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Serve with Rum Cream; garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews