I made this yesterday, based on previous reviews, I increased sugar to 3 cups, and used 1teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon. Also used 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon lemon extract. It is fantastic. The house still smells of FALL.(smile) PS to Sexykjj..I baked my potatoes, let cool, then mashed well, and added to the cream cheese and butter, mixed until light and fluffy, gradually adding sugar then continued with recipe.I also have a Kitchen-Aid mixer. Hope this helps. STL, MO
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Bored with sweet potato casserole? Try this sweet potato pound cake, a twist on traditional pound cake that features nutrient-rich sweet potatoes. It's the perfect addition to holiday dessert tables.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º. Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add sweet potatoes, and beat well.
- 2. Stir together flour, next 3 ingredients, and, if desired, cinnamon in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12-cup) tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 350º for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake Loaves: Prepare batter as directed; pour into 2 greased and floured 8 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch loafpans. Bake and cool as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note