A hit at Christmas! I also made this into little bite size tartlets for a party but you'll need to double the crust for that and use a mini-muffin pan. This is a classic that will be my go-to for a fall/winter dessert. YUM.
Sweet Potato Pie with Praline Crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle cold water (1 tablespoon at a time) evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; cover and chill.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place in a 10-inch pieplate; trim off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under, and flute.
- Combine butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar; stir in pecans. Press mixture over pastry shell. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Combine eggs and next 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended. Pour mixture over praline layer in pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until pie is set. Let cool on wire rack. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Pies/Pastries