Sweet Potato Pie
"Sweet, Indeed" by Michael Hastings. Recipe adapted from "Well Shut My Mouth! The Sweet Potatoes Restaurant Cookbook" by Stephanie Tyson. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: August 3, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 cup(s) cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 14-ounce can(s) sweetend condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup(s) melted butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon extract
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup(s) water (optional)
- 2 sliced (peeled) sweet potatoes (optional)
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- 1. Combine the mashed sweet potatoes with the 1 cup sugar and flour. Stir in the beaten eggs. Add the sweetened, condensed milk and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Mix well.
- 2. This step is optional, but it looks really cool! Add ¼ cup sugar and the water to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add sliced sweet potatoes. Cook about 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are barely tender. Allow sweet potatoes to cool to the touch. Layer slices of sweet potatoes evenly in the two pie shells.
- 3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Evenly divide the filling mixture among the two pie shells. Bake for about 45 minutes or until done. Pies should rise and the middles should no longer look shiny or wet.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note