very authentic Southern taste. The lemon extract is barely noticeable, but adds a brightness that it would be missing otherwise. I used pumpkin spice instead of just nutmeg and it was just perfect. Beautiful texture and wonderful flavor - not too dense, not too airy. A very good recipe!
Sweet Potato Pie
A close cousin of pumpkin pie, this traditional sweet potato pie gets its creaminess from whipped sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Using refrigerated deep-dish pie crusts keeps it easy.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen deep-dish piecrusts, thawed
- Garnishes: whipped cream, grated nutmeg
- Cook sweet potato in boiling water to cover 30 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Beat sweet potato and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, beating well. Pour mixture evenly into each piecrust.
- Bake at 350° on lower oven rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts