very authentic Southern taste. The lemon extract is barely noticeable, but adds a brightness that it would be missing otherwise. I used pumpkin spice instead of just nutmeg and it was just perfect. Beautiful texture and wonderful flavor - not too dense, not too airy. A very good recipe!
Sweet Potato Pie
A close cousin of pumpkin pie, this traditional sweet potato pie gets its creaminess from whipped sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Using refrigerated deep-dish pie crusts keeps it easy.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen deep-dish piecrusts, thawed
- Garnishes: whipped cream, grated nutmeg
- Cook sweet potato in boiling water to cover 30 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Beat sweet potato and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, beating well. Pour mixture evenly into each piecrust.
- Bake at 350° on lower oven rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note