- 1/2 recipe Crisp and Tender Pastry
- 2 1/4 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, such as Garnet (sometimes called "yams")
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- PECAN TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- calories 489
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 6.4 g
- fat 25 g
- satfat 11 g
- carbohydrate 61 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- sodium 296 mg
- cholesterol 121 mg
How to Make It
Make pastry as directed in a regular 9-in. pie pan. Let cool.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375° and make filling: Bake sweet potatoes in a shallow pan until very tender when pierced, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours. Let cool. Scoop flesh into a food processor and purée until smooth. Measure 2 cups; save extra for soup or another use.
Reduce oven to 350°. With a mixer, beat eggs in a large bowl until frothy. Beat in remaining filling ingredients until blended. Pour into crust and spread level. Wrap pie rim with 4 strips of foil.
Bake pie 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together topping ingredients except pecans until smooth. Stir in pecans.
Remove foil from pie. Evenly drop small spoonfuls of pecan mixture in a border around edge of pie. Continue to bake until center jiggles only slightly when shaken gently, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack at least 2 hours.
Make ahead: Through step 2 or the whole pie, up to 1 day.