I chose this recipe over the other one because of the corn meal addition. But these were just OK. I had to add more milk than it asked for because the batter was too thick and gluggy. I used toasted walnuts instead of pecans because where I live, pecans are outrageously expensive.
Sweet Potato and Pecan Flapjacks
Cornmeal adds crunch, and mashed sweet potatoes lend creaminess to this weekend favorite. Yellow- or white-fleshed sweet potatoes have a dry and crumbly texture when baked and are not moist enough to make tender pancakes, so use the orange variety. For convenience, roast a sweet potato the night before. Serve with maple syrup, butter, and fresh fruit, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43.7g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 419mg
- Calcium: 166mg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine milk, sweet potato, sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg yolks, stirring until smooth; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form; fold egg whites into batter. Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat griddle or pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle or pan. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over, and cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note