OK folks....to all of you using "yams" instead of sweet potatoes. If you bought them in a grocery store, they are sweet potatoes. Yams are grown in Africa...or at least 95% are. They are totally different vegetables. The Dept of Agriculture even requires that if the word "yam" is used on the label, then the words "sweet potato" has to also be on it. Slaves likened the flavor of sweet potatoes to their native yams, hence why we started calling them that.
Sweet Potato-Pecan Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Keep this family favorite around for the holiday season. Mashed sweet potatoes give the cupcakes extra moistness, while a myriad of spices including cinnamon and nutmeg, spice up the traditionally sweet dessert. A simple cream cheese frosting and a sprinkle of chopped pecans is all that's needed on top.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 40 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (16-oz.) can mashed sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garnish: coarsely chopped pecans
- 1. Place pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once after 4 minutes.
- 3. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 4. Whisk together mashed sweet potatoes, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sweet potato mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Fold in toasted pecans. Place foil baking cups in muffin pans, and coat with vegetable cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove immediately from pans, and cool 50 minutes to 1 hour or until completely cool. Spread cupcakes evenly with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note