These are tasty. Some suggestions...do not boil the sweet potato, instead shred it and sauté it with the diced onion and garlic. It cooks quickly, you subtract dirtying another pot and the patty's retain shape better. I also added an egg in the processing step. My patty's formed easily and maintained shape well.
Sweet Potato-Pecan Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Choose breads labeled 100 percent whole wheat or whole grain to make sure you're getting their benefits. Nuts add healthful unsaturated fats and filling protein to this tasty vegetarian sandwich.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 11.3g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 785mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 6 Boston lettuce leaves
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) 100% whole wheat or whole-grain buns
- 6 chili sauce
- 1. To prepare onions, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion to pan; sauté 12 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook 30 seconds or until vinegar is absorbed. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- 2. To prepare burgers, place potato in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 3. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- 4. Place potato, chopped onion mixture, oats, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. Place potato mixture in a large bowl; stir in nuts. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- 5. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 patties to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and 3 patties. Place lettuce leaves and patties on bottom halves of buns; top each patty with 1 tablespoon chili sauce, about 3 tablespoons onion, and top halves of buns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note