Sweet Potato-Peanut Soup with Ham Croutons
An Editors' favorite, the peanut flavor in this thick, rich appetizer soup comes from creamy peanut butter. The crisp ham croutons are positively addictive.
More From Oxmoor House
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, celery, and garlic, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add broth, potato, and chopped rosemary. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham, and cook until browned and crisp on all sides. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Process potato mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return potato mixture to Dutch oven; stir in peanut butter. Cook over medium-low heat until soup is smooth, stirring often. Stir in whipping cream, salt, and pepper; cook until thoroughly heated.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each serving with ham. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note