Creamy and flavorful with a good kick from the ground red pepper. This is a thick, heavy soup.
Sweet Potato-Peanut Soup
Peanut soup is a signature Virginia specialty. Here, it's made even better with the addition of sweet potatoes.
More From Southern Living
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Nutmeg-Molasses Cream
- Chopped toasted peanuts
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté over medium heat 3 minutes. Add sweet potato cubes and chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Process mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return mixture to Dutch oven; whisk in half-and-half and creamy peanut butter. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes. Serve with Nutmeg-Molasses Cream and chopped toasted peanuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note