I heart this soup. I double the leeks and cook the sweet potatoes a bit longer, but it's so good, it's worth the slightly extra time.
Sweet Potato, Leek, and Ham Soup
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 193
- Calories from fat: 7%
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 153mg
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup diced cooked ham (such as Cumberland Gap)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 3 cups refrigerated cubed peeled sweet potato (such as Glory)
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced leek (optional)
- Thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Remove ham from pan; set aside.
- 2. Add leek to pan; coat with cooking spray. Cook leek, covered, 5 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons water to pan, if needed, to prevent burning.
- 3. Add sweet potato and next 4 ingredients, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until sweet potato is very tender. Place half of potato mixture in a blender or food processor. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Process until smooth. Pour puree into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in 3/4 cup reserved ham. Ladle soup into bowls; top servings evenly with 1/4 cup reserved ham. Garnish with sliced leek and onions, if desired.
Prechopped sweet potato is now available in most grocery stores. If you're unable to find it, peel and cube two small sweet potatoes to measure about 3 cups.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note