Good recipe. Sweet potatoes are a nice touch. Goes really well with applesauce. Takes a little longer to bake than expected. The first batch I used silicone baking sheets and they didn't get very crispy. The second batch was done on aluminum foil lined pans and were nice and crispy.
Sweet Potato Latkes
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 Russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Canola or safflower oil
- Toppings: applesauce, goat cheese, or sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Wrap 1 sweet potato in aluminum foil, and bake at 400° for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until tender when pierced with fork. Unwrap and cool to room temperature.
- 2. Reduce oven temperature to 250°. Peel and grate remaining potatoes with large side of a box grater or grating blade of a food processor. Combine grated potato, eggs, and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Slip cooked sweet potato flesh out of skin, and stir thoroughly into potato mixture; discard skin.
- 3. Heat enough oil in large skillet to cover bottom of pan. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls in hot oil, and fry over medium heat until golden brown and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining latkes, adding more oil to pan if needed. Keep batches of latkes warm in oven on a wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Serve warm with applesauce, soft goat cheese, or sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables