Sweet Potato Latkes
Like traditional latkes, these are good with sour cream and applesauce.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 patty)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 166
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 354mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 4 cups shredded peeled sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated shallots (about 2 medium)
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Line colander with paper towels. Place potatoes and shallots in colander, and let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/4 cup. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine potato mixture, breadcrumbs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and egg in a bowl. Divide mixture into 8 portions. Pat each portion into a 1/4-inch-thick patty.
- Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add 4 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining butter, oil, and patties.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note