Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Melt butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 15 minutes or until golden. Add brown sugar, and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Combine onion mixture, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture into 3 1/2-inch rounds; cook, in batches, 5 minutes on each side or until golden, adding remaining oil as necessary. Press down with a spatula to flatten; top with bacon and pecans.
- Cheesy Sweet Potato Hash Browns: Omit onion, brown sugar, bacon, and pecans. Top hash browns evenly with 4 ounces thinly sliced Jarlsberg or Monterey Jack cheese during the last 5 minutes.
- Rosemary-Garlic Hash Browns: Omit onion, brown sugar, bacon, and pecans. Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic to potato mixture. Cook as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note