Sweet Potato Gratin with Chipotle Sauce
Smoky chipotle peppers make this scalloped potato casserole memorable.
Yield: 12 servings
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (about 3 chiles)
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 20 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel potatoes, and cut crosswise into 1/2" slices. Layer potatoes in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish or oval gratin dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté until tender. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, cumin, and pepper. Add cheese and chipotle peppers, stirring until cheese melts.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables