Sweet Potato Gratin with Chipotle Sauce
Smoky chipotle peppers make this scalloped potato casserole memorable.
Yield: 12 servings
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (about 3 chiles)
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 20 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel potatoes, and cut crosswise into 1/2" slices. Layer potatoes in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish or oval gratin dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté until tender. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, cumin, and pepper. Add cheese and chipotle peppers, stirring until cheese melts.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note