- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 unbaked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
How to Make It
Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, salt, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl; beat well. Add lemon juice, orange rind, nutmeg, potatoes, and half-and-half; beat until well blended. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form. Fold into sweet potato mixture. Pour filling into pastry shell.
Combine 1/4 cup melted butter, brown sugar, and pecans; mix well. Sprinkle pecan mixture evenly over top of filling. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake an additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before serving.