everyone LOVED the orange flavor given by the cups; the 2 3/4 pound is equal to about 5 cups mashed and barely fit into 10 orange halves; I still had remaining sweet potatoe left over so I may decrease the amount of potato next time; also, I increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. and it was a true hit. I also did the potatoes a day ahead as suggested and they assembled very well.
Sweet Potato Cups
Elizabeth sometimes uses a zester or channel knife to make designs on the outsides of oranges. Save the orange pulp to make delicious Grand Mimosas to enjoy while you are preparing this special dish.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
Stand: 20 Minutes
- 6 small sweet potatoes (about 2 3/4 lb.)
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1. Preheat oven to 425º. Place sweet potatoes on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until tender. Let stand 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350º.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut oranges in half crosswise. Scoop out pulp using a spoon, leaving peel intact. Reserve orange pulp for another use.
- 3. Peel sweet potatoes, and place potato pulp in a large bowl. Add sweetened condensed milk and next 7 ingredients. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, stopping occasionally to remove any tough fibers, if necessary. Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into each orange cup. Place orange cups in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and top with marshmallows, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and golden brown.
- Note: Orange cups and sweet potatoes can be made 1 day ahead. Chill scooped orange cups and baked sweet potatoes in separate zip-top plastic bags until ready to assemble.
- Pecan-Ginger-Sweet Potato Cups: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3, adding 3/4 tsp. ground ginger with sweetened condensed milk. Bake cups at 350° for 20 minutes. Top with 1/2 cup chopped pecans; top with marshmallows as directed. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note