everyone LOVED the orange flavor given by the cups; the 2 3/4 pound is equal to about 5 cups mashed and barely fit into 10 orange halves; I still had remaining sweet potatoe left over so I may decrease the amount of potato next time; also, I increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. and it was a true hit. I also did the potatoes a day ahead as suggested and they assembled very well.
Sweet Potato Cups
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
Stand: 20 Minutes
- 6 small sweet potatoes (about 2 3/4 lb.)
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1. Preheat oven to 425º. Place sweet potatoes on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until tender. Let stand 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350º.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut oranges in half crosswise. Scoop out pulp using a spoon, leaving peel intact. Reserve orange pulp for another use.
- 3. Peel sweet potatoes, and place potato pulp in a large bowl. Add sweetened condensed milk and next 7 ingredients. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, stopping occasionally to remove any tough fibers, if necessary. Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into each orange cup. Place orange cups in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and top with marshmallows, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and golden brown.
- Note: Orange cups and sweet potatoes can be made 1 day ahead. Chill scooped orange cups and baked sweet potatoes in separate zip-top plastic bags until ready to assemble.
- Pecan-Ginger-Sweet Potato Cups: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3, adding 3/4 tsp. ground ginger with sweetened condensed milk. Bake cups at 350° for 20 minutes. Top with 1/2 cup chopped pecans; top with marshmallows as directed. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables