Yummy! We used feta instead of cotija and baked instead of frying for a lighter recipe. Served with homemade jalapeno pepper jelly. Delicious!
Sweet Potato-Cotija Triangles with Red Chile Jelly
Notes: You can make and fry these appetizers up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. To reheat, bake uncovered in a single layer in a shallow baking pan in a 350° oven (convection not recommended) until hot and crisp, about 8 minutes. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 54
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 1.5g
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 127mg
- Cholesterol: 2.1mg
- 1 dark orange-fleshed sweet potato (1 lb.), such as garnet or red jewel (sometimes sold as yams)
- 6 tablespoons shredded cotija cheese (1 1/2 oz.) or feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- Red chile jelly or jam or cranberry chutney
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potato and pierce with a sharp knife in several places. Bake until soft when pressed, 40 to 60 minutes. Cut sweet potato open and let cool about 15 minutes. Scoop out flesh, put in a bowl, and mash. Stir in cheese, cumin seeds, pepper, and salt to taste.
- 2. Mound 1 scant tablespoon sweet potato filling in the center of 1 wonton wrapper (keep remaining wrappers covered with plastic wrap). With your finger, moisten edge of wrapper with water. Fold over filling to form a triangle and press edges to seal. Repeat to fill remaining wonton wrappers. Place in a single layer on a flour-dusted baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap to keep triangles from drying out.
- 3. Pour about 1 1/2 inches oil into a 3- to 4-quart pan and set over medium heat. When oil reaches 375° on a thermometer, add 3 or 4 triangles and fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes total. Lift out with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep warm in a 200° oven. Repeat to fry remaining triangles.
- 4. Serve hot with red chile jelly or jam or cranberry chutney for dipping. (If jelly is very stiff, stir to loosen.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato-Cotija Triangles with Red Chile Jelly Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southwest, Pacific Rim, Mexican
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Sunset