This cornbread is delicious! I cooked mine in my 10-inch cast iron skillet. I heated the skillet with the oven and melted a half-stick of butter in the skillet just before I poured in the batter. This resulted in a nice, crispy outside to the cornbread. My husband LOVES sweet potatoes, and he loved this bread. I will make it again, and it does go well with the slow cooker BBQ chicken and the pickled onions and peppers.
Sweet Potato Cornbread
Sandwich your favorite barbecue between slices of Sweet Potato Cornbread for a change of pace, or serve along side your favorite meal as you would regular cornbread. The sweet potatoes add a touch of sweetness to this favorite bread of the South.
This recipe goes with Slow-cooked BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes)
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into a lightly greased 9-inch square pan.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note