one of my friends made this, and it was delicious. I don't remember the orange flavor so don't know if she put the orange zest in.
Sweet Potato Coffee Cake with Caramel Glaze
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours
- 2 (1/4-oz.) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Caramel Glaze
- 1. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together 4 1/2 cups bread flour, salt, and baking soda.
- 3. Beat yeast mixture and 1/2 cup bread flour at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until well blended. Gradually add sweet potato, next 5 ingredients, and flour mixture, beating until well blended.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 4 to 5 minutes), gradually adding remaining 1/2 cup bread flour. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- 5. Stir together 2/3 cup granulated sugar and next 2 ingredients. Punch dough down; turn out onto a well-floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll 1 portion into a 16- x 12-inch rectangle. Brush with half of 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Cut dough lengthwise into 6 (2-inch-wide) strips using a pizza cutter or knife.
- 6. Loosely coil 1 strip, and place in center of a lightly greased 10-inch round pan. Loosely coil remaining dough strips, 1 at a time, around center strip, attaching each to the end of the previous strip to make a single large spiral. (Sugared sides of dough strips should face center of spiral.) Repeat with remaining dough half, butter, and sugar mixture.
- 7. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- 8. Preheat oven to 350º. Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned and done. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to serving plates. Prepare Caramel Glaze, and brush over swirls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note