Sweet Potato-Chèvre Napoleons
Notes: You can complete steps 1 through 3 up to 1 day ahead. Chill sweet-potato mixture airtight; cover shallots and store at room temperature. Reheat sweet-potato mixture in a microwave oven, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 624
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 83g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Sodium: 264mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (1 1/2 to 2 in. wide)
- 12 ounces shallots (3/4 to 1 in. wide), peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- About 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup fresh chÃ¨vre (goat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Crisp Potato Galettes
- 1. Scrub sweet potatoes, pierce each in several places with a fork, and set in an 8- or 9-inch-wide pan. In another pan, mix shallots with oil and vinegar.
- 2. Bake shallots in a 375º oven, shaking pan occasionally, until deep golden brown, about 45 minutes; bake sweet potatoes until they give very easily when squeezed, about 1 hour.
- 3. Protecting your hands with a potholder, slit hot sweet potatoes open and scoop flesh into a bowl; discard skins. With a potato masher or a mixer, mash sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup milk, cheese, butter, and thyme until smooth; for a softer texture, beat in more milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4. Lay a large, hot galette piece on each of four warmed dinner plates. Mound half the hot sweet-potato mixture equally in center of galettes.
- 5. Lay another galette flat on each sweet-potato mound. Top equally with remaining sweet-potato mixture. Stick remaining galette pieces and any fragments vertically into the sweet-potato mixture; spoon shallots around napoleons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note