My son hates sweet potatoes but loves this casserole. I have been making it since it first came out in '97 and skipped one year and boy did I hear about it. Brother asked for recipe and made it for his friends and now he says they get upset when he doesn't make it! Great hot or cold from the fridge, tastes like dessert when cold. This will always be on my Holiday table.
Sweet Potato Casserole With Praline Topping
In this twist on sweet potato casserole, a classic holiday favorite, the streusel is both stirred into the casserole and sprinkled on top. For more recipes like this, see our complete collection of sweet potato recipes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 70.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup stick margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (5-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to form a streusel. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until very tender. Drain well; mash in a large bowl. Stir in 1 cup streusel, granulated sugar, vanilla, egg white, and milk. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; top with remaining streusel. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato Casserole With Praline Topping Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Casseroles, Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Winter, Christmas, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light