Instead of mashed sweet potatoes, this casserole features tender slices of sweet potatoes layered with Bosc pear slices which are topped with marshmallow and toasted pecans.
All You NOVEMBER 2010
1. In a large pot, cover sweet potatoes with cold water. Add 1 Tbsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until a knife can pierce sweet potatoes easily, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain potatoes, run under cold water to cool, then peel. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a large bowl, toss pears with lemon juice.
2. Spread pecans on a baking sheet; bake until toasted and fragrant, shaking sheet once, about 7 minutes. Transfer pecans to a bowl; let cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Layer half of sweet potato slices, overlapping, then top with half of pears, half of pecans and a pinch of salt. Drizzle half of butter on top. Repeat layers.
4. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until sweet potatoes and pears are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle marshmallows over top of casserole and broil until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Go to full version of