I've made this recipe for years and everyone says it's the best sweet potato casserole they've ever had. I use fresh sweet potatoes though and not canned. Also make sure you whip your potatoes with a mixer until nice and light. The strussel topping is excellent and gives it great crunch. I don't care for other recipes that use marshmallows on top and that's why I and my friends love this dish,
Sweet Potato Casserole
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 286
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 257mg
- Calcium: 164mg
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes*
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons diced pecans
- Microwave potatoes 1 inch apart on paper towels at HIGH 12 minutes or until done, turning and rearranging after 5 minutes; cool, peel, and mash.
- Stir together potatoes and next 7 ingredients; spoon into a shallow 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish, if desired.
- *2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans mashed sweet potatoes may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe at a Glance