I love sweet potatoes! Tried every sweet potato casserole recipe ever created and this is absolutely the best!! I made this recipe last Thanksgiving and didn't tell anyone it had carrots in it - everyone raved!! Have been asked for an encore this year!! Excellent recipe.
Sweet Potato-Carrot Casserole
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 6 large sweet potatoes (about 5 lb.)
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Sugar-and-Spice Pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake sweet potatoes on an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan 1 hour or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Cool potatoes 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook carrots in boiling water to cover 20 to 25 minutes or until very tender; drain.
- 3. Process carrots and butter in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Transfer carrot mixture to a large bowl.
- 4. Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Process, in batches, in food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add sweet potatoes to carrot mixture. Stir in sour cream and next 5 ingredients, stirring until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows. Bake 10 more minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with Sugar-and-Spice Pecans.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 4; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand 30 minutes. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 5.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note