This recipe was super rich, but it was a big hit as an unusual birthday cake. Caramel frosting linked to from this recipe is not the right one -- or even a caramel frosting.
Sweet Potato Cake with Coconut Filling and Caramel Frosting
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- vegetable cooking spray
- All-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Coconut Filling
- Caramel Frosting
- Coat 3 (9-inch) cakepans with cooking spray; dust lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in mashed sweet potatoes and next 6 ingredients, adding each ingredient one at a time. Add pecans and 3 cups flour, beating just until blended.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Coconut Filling evenly between cake layers. Gradually pour about 1/2 cup Caramel Frosting on top of cake, spreading over top and sides with a small spatula. Place cake in refrigerator, and chill remaining Caramel Frosting 45 minutes. Pour another 1/2 cup Caramel Frosting on cake, spreading over top and sides. Chill cake and frosting 15 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining frosting, 1/2 cup at a time. Store cake in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Potato Cake with Coconut Filling and Caramel Frosting Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts