- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Citrus Filling
- Orange Glaze
How to Make It
Beat sugar and oil at low speed in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in hot water.
Stir together flour and next 6 ingredients; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until blended. Stir in sweet potato, pecans, and vanilla.
Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter evenly into 3 lightly greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
Spread 1 cup Citrus Filling between each cake layer. Pour Orange Glaze over cake, letting it run down sides.