- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce pancetta, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.38 ounces all-purpose flour, divided (about 5 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- calories 220
- fat 8.7 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- monofat 2.2 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 9.7 g
- carbohydrate 26.2 g
- fiber 2.6 g
- cholesterol 25 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 418 mg
- calcium 259 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta; cook 1 minute. Add shallots and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Weigh or lightly spoon 1 ounces (about 1/4 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in thyme. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; cook over medium heat until slightly thick (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in salt and peppers. Remove from heat.
Cook baking potato in boiling water 4 minutes or until almost tender; remove with a slotted spoon. Cook sweet potato in boiling water 4 minutes or until almost tender; remove with a slotted spoon. Cook butternut squash in boiling water 4 minutes or until almost tender; drain. Sprinkle vegetables evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Arrange potatoes and squash in alternating layers in a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; spoon sauce over potato mixture. Top with Gruyère. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Broil 3 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes.