This was really good. I used purple sweet potatoes that had been peeled, steamed, and sliced/mashed...they worked well. I cut out some of the sugar and next time will cut it all out. Also, I didn't have any eggs so I found a substitute online for 2 tsp yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water. It worked great. And, I substituted coconut oil for vegetable oil. Next time I'll also add more raisins, as suggested by others.
Sweet Potato Bread
Photo: Hannah Whitaker; Styling: Tizana Agnello
Inspired by carrot cake, we created a cream cheese-frosted bread.
Yield: Serves 14 (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 197mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed shredded peeled sweet potato (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Dash of salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine yogurt, sugar, oil, and eggs. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Gently fold in sweet potato, raisins, and pecans.
- 3. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- 4. Combine cream cheese and remaining ingredients in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads