Sweet potato biscuits with ham, mustard, and hone
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- pinch(s) cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup(s) chilled buttermilk
- 8 tablespoon(s) chilled unsalted butter,cut into 1/2 inch cubes,
- Dijon mustard
- 3/4 pound(s) redskinned sweet potato, peeled, but into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 6 ounce(s) thinly sliced country ham or Black forest ham
- Cook sweet potato in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, cool, and mash.
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425F. Butter bottom and sides of 9inch cake pan with 1 1/2inchhigh sides.
- Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add cubed butter to flour mixture; toss to coat and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes and buttermilk in medium bowl. Add to flour mixture; toss with fork. Gather mixture in bowl, kneading until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto floured work surface and pat into 1inchthick round. Using 1 1/2inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits, flouring cutter after each cut. Gather scraps; pat into 1inchthick round. Cut out additional biscuits (do not reuse scraps more than once).
- Arrange biscuits side by side in prepared cake pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake until puffed and golden on top and tester inserted into center biscuit comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn biscuits out and gently pull them apart. Cut each biscuit in half crosswise.
- Spread bottom half of each biscuit with mustard, then top each with sliced ham and second half of biscuit. Serve with honey.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by HeatherP and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet potato biscuits with ham, mustard, and hone Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Sandwiches