This chili was fast and easy to make, but ended up being a bit too spicy. (And we like spicy!). I think the spiciness was due to the chipotle powder. I did really like the orange zest, lime zest & cilantro topping. Although this recipe was easy, I don't think it will make it into our regular rotation...
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 297
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 7.4g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sodium: 695mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 small), cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder, or 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne or ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 can (14 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and pepper
- For toppings: 1 orange, 1 lime, chopped cilantro leaves, diced avocado, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips
- 1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add New Mexico and chipotle chile powders, cumin, and coriander and cook until spices are fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in beans and broth and partially cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are soft and chili is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Meanwhile, zest orange and lime into a small bowl (you should have about 1 tbsp. orange zest and 2 tsp. lime zest). Add cilantro. Quarter lime. Reserve orange for another use.
- 3. Ladle chili into 4 bowls. Top with cilantro-zest mixture, avocado, sour cream, crushed chips, and lime wedges.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving without toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews