Made this recipe for the past 6 years and it is a big hit. It is very easy to make. I have added more apples to the recipe but it makes more liquid so I cut down the OJ to balance out. My 9 year old likes cutting the leaves out and decorating the top. I would highly recommend.
Sweet Potato-Apple Cobbler
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Bourbon Whipped Cream (optional)
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork, and place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until done; cool slightly. Peel and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place apple slices in an even layer in a lightly greased 13- x- 9-inch baking dish; top with sweet potato slices.
- Stir together 1 1/2 cups orange juice and next 6 ingredients. Pour over sweet potato mixture. Dot with 6 tablespoons butter.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on a cutting board. Unfold 1 piecrust, and place on pecans; gently roll piecrust dough into pecans. Cut with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter; place leaves over sweet potato mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans and piecrust.
- Microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 1-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 20 to 30 seconds or until melted. Brush butter over crust, and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons granulated sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with Bourbon Whipped Cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts