Sweet Potato- Banana Purée
Notes: You can make this fruity purée from chef Ron Siegel of Masa's in San Francisco up to 1 day ahead; cool, cover, and chill. Reheat, covered, in a microwave oven on full power (100%), stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 3.5g
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Cholesterol: 8.5mg
- 2 pounds Garnet or Jewel sweet potatoes (often called yams)
- 1 ripe banana (6 oz.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 piece (3 in.) vanilla bean (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- About 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Peel sweet potatoes and banana; cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, combine sweet potatoes, banana, and milk. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape seeds into pan, then add pod (if using vanilla extract, add it later). Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced, 11 to 13 minutes. Remove vanilla pod and discard.
- 3. Pour sweet potato mixture into a fine strainer set over a bowl; discard milk. In a food processor, purée sweet potato mixture with butter (and vanilla extract if using) until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and salt to taste. Spoon into a bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note