These were so good! The combination of peaches and cornmeal in the pancakes was perfect. Placing the peaches in a circle and pouring the batter around then turning them was a bit of a problem. Made the first batch that way then the second batch with diced up peaches in the batter. The first batch was worth the trouble because the peaches kind of cooked and made those pancakes more flavorful than the ones with diced peaches. Don't forget when serving - a drizzle of syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.
Sweet Peach Pancakes
The sweetness of the peaches combined with the natural sweetness of the cornmeal makes for a delicious morning. A well-seasoned griddle or skillet won't need much butter and oil; use only as much as you need to keep the pancakes from sticking.
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 5 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Canola oil
- 3 medium peaches (about 1 1/4 lb.), unpeeled and cut into 10 thin wedges each*
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, syrup, fresh mint
- 1. Sift together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and whisk just until combined.
- 2. Melt a small amount of butter with oil on a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 3 peach wedges for each pancake on griddle; starting at outside edge of peach slices, carefully pour 1/4 cup batter over each group of slices to form a circle.
- 3. Cook pancakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook other sides 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a baking sheet; keep warm in a 300° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining peach slices and batter, adding more butter and oil to griddle as needed.
- Note: We tested with White Lily All-Purpose Soft Wheat Flour.
- *2 medium peaches, unpeeled and diced, may be substituted. Stir into batter at end of Step 1. Cook pancakes as directed, using 1/4 cup batter per pancake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note