Sweet Pea Salad with Coconut
Notes: To use fresh instead of frozen peas, shell about 4 pounds in-the-pod peas to get 4 cups. The salad holds well up to 4 hours.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 7.1g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Sodium: 113mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot chili flakes
- 4 cups frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 4 cups (1/2 lb.) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1. Pour oil into a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat. Add mustard seed and cumin seed. When seeds sizzle and pop, in about 30 seconds, add chilies and stir just until chilies begin to brown, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add peas, bell pepper, and coconut. Stir until peas are hot, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Remove pan from heat and stir in bean sprouts. Pour salad mixture into a wide bowl.
- 4. Serve salad warm or cool; just before serving, stir in orange juice and add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note