Delicious! Bourbon glaze added wonderful flavor to the onions which were time consuming to grill but well worth it.
Sweet Onion Stacks
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 4 (8-oz.) sweet onions
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 to 16 tomato slices
- 1/2 (4-oz.) package goat cheese, softened
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 4 thick bacon slices, cooked and halved
- 4 cups firmly packed mixed salad greens with fresh herbs
- 1. Preheat grill to 300° to 350° (medium) heat. Cook first 3 ingredients in a 2-qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- 2. Cut each onion crosswise into 3 slices. Grill onion slices, covered with grill lid, 32 minutes, turning every 4 minutes and basting with bourbon mixture with each turn during last half of grill time. Remove from grill, wrap in aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk before serving.
- 4. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper to taste. Place 1 tomato slice (or stack 2) on each of 4 plates. Top each with 1 onion slice, and spread with 1 1/2 tsp. goat cheese. Top each stack with 2 basil leaves and 1 bacon piece. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining onions. Spoon 1 Tbsp. vinaigrette over each stack.
- 5. Toss greens with 3 Tbsp. vinaigrette, and serve immediately with Sweet Onion Stacks and remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note