This was AMAZING! I used brown rice, which made the process longer and needed more chicken broth. I also added mushrooms. This was one of the best rice recipes that I have ever tasted. I fought my husband for the leftovers.
Sweet Onion Risotto
Arborio rice is located with other rice products in the grocery store. Its short, smooth grain and high starch content give risotto a creamy texture.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 large sweet onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (16-ounce) package Arborio rice
- 8 cups warm chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook onions in 2 tablespoons hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes or until caramelized. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 1 cup chicken broth. Cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken broth, 1 cup at a time. (This takes about 30 minutes.) Stir in onions.
- Add wine; cook, stirring gently, until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese, butter, and salt. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables