This is so delicious! It sounds very strange from the title, but it is a wonderful side dish for a holiday meal. Made it for Christmas and everyone loved it. Carmelizing the onions is key to this dish. Takes a while and lots of stirring, but then you put it in the crockpot and are good to go. Mine took only about 2 hrs to brown. Enjoy!
Sweet Onion Pudding
Yield: Makes 10 servings
More From Southern Living
4 Hours, 55 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 medium-size sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions. Cook, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes or until caramel colored; remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk together eggs, cream, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a separate bowl; gradually whisk into egg mixture until blended. Stir onions and breadcrumbs into egg mixture; spoon into a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours or until center is set and edges are golden brown.
- Note: Onions can be cooked up to 2 days ahead. Cover and chill until ready to assemble pudding.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables