Sweet Onion Casserole
This is THE way to enjoy sweet onions from Washington, California, or Georgia. Rice and cheese add heft and flavor to this casserole while letting the star veggie shine.
More From Oxmoor House
1 Hour, 1 Minute
- Calories: 199
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 23.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 227mg
- Calcium: 207mg
- 1 quart water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 3/4 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Bring 1 quart water to a boil; stir in rice. Cook 5 minutes; drain.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour and salt over onion mixture, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 4. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Add Gruyère cheese and rice, stirring until cheese melts. Pour onion mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note