Not sure what I did wrong, but the rice didn't fully cook so it was a bit crunchy. Decent flavor with the cheeses but I probably will not make again.
Sweet Onion Casserole
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 192
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 23.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Calcium: 203mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup (1 1/3 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Place onion in a large bowl.
- 3. Cook rice in a large pot of boiling water 5 minutes. Drain.
- 4. Stir rice and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) into onions. Spoon onion mixture into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Top with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This