Sweet Onion Bake
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 medium-size sweet onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 (8-oz.) block Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup finely crushed saltine crackers, divided (about 20 crackers)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions, and sauté 20 minutes or until golden brown. Place half of cooked onions in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with half of cheese and 1/4 cup cracker crumbs. Top with remaining onions and cheese.
- 2. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; pour over onion mixture.
- 3. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium heat; add remaining 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, and cook, stirring often, until crumbs are lightly browned. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over mixture in dish.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables